The Winnie Mabaso Foundation is proud to be able to support Meriting Village, a informal settlement south of Johannesburg.
Meriting is home to a desperately poor community who live in shack accommodation. There is no power, limited sanitation and water is supplied from standpipes.
We run a variety of projects including:-
1) Mabaso Pre School: We have 30 children currently registered aged from 2-5
2) Library: A library for the whole community. We run reading workshops and the community are falling in love with literature.
3) Granny Club: A chance for our grannies to get together over a cuppa to chat, learn new skills and to be pampered.
4) Homework Club: Assisting the older children with their studies
5) School Uniform: We are delighted to be able to provide school uniforms, stationery and shoes for all the children living in Meriting
6) Gardening Scheme: Teaching the community how to grow their own produce. Relieving hunger and restoring dignity
7) Shacks: Provision of new shacks for the homeless and vulnerable
8) Memorial Garden: A beautiful flower and fruit garden for the community to enjoy
9) Ad hoc workshops
10) Children’s play area – keeping children off the landfill sites and enabling them to play in a safe environment.
11) Mama Nabantwana – our club for Young Mums and Babies
12) Mabaso Remote Clinic and First Aid Centre
13) Sew Amazing – our sewing school for unemployed women